This is Drill #3 in the HockeyShot Stickhandling Series. Create good stickhandling habits when you work on this drill. Develop control and practice your balance at the same time. View the video and follow the techniques below.
For the wide stick handling drill #2, you will start by stick handling off center on your forehand. You will then proceed to extend your reach on the backhand and take your bottom hand off the shaft. Make sure to roll the wrist that is on top in order to cup the puck with your backhand. Finally, pull the puck back to its original position and replace your bottom hand on the shaft.
- Keep the blade of your stick square on the flooring tiles
- Cup the puck from forehand to backhand by lifting your stick over the puck and rolling your wrists
- Maintain controlled, fluent movement and feel the puck on the center of your blade
- Do not tap the ice/floor
- Start slowly and progress faster once you feel comfortable with the stick handling action
- Keep your head up and use your peripheral vision to see the puck