This is Drill #2 in the HockeyShot Stickhandling Series. Expand on your stickhandling skills. This drill will help you to begin developing soft hands. View the video and follow the techniques below.
For the wide stick handling drill #1, you will use the same hockey and hand position as the basic stick handling drill. The only difference is that you will increase the distance the puck travels by 2 to 3 lengths. Extend your reach and put a big emphasis on the wrist rolling action.
- Keep the blade of your stick square on the flooring tiles
- Cup the puck from forehand to backhand by lifting your stick over the puck and rolling your wrists
- Maintain controlled, fluent movement and feel the puck on the center of your blade
- Do not tap the ice/floor
- Start slowly and progress faster once you feel comfortable with the stick handling action
- Keep your head up and use your peripheral vision to see the puck